Dear Family & Friends of Sherwood Care,
This time of year is a great reminder of why Albertans are so hardy! One day we have frost warnings and the very next day we see temperature of 25 ℃. Every day that I water my outside flowers and plants I am grateful for those warmer days.
Speaking of changes in weather, we have heard lots of questions and concerns from you about what we will do to support more indoor visits, once outdoor visits are no longer a viable option.
We have been talking about this for several weeks already and are working hard to find solutions to this concern, while still respecting some of the inherent risks our facility has, simply because of design and the multiple shared spaces and rooms.
We did receive the details for the latest order, CMOH 32-2020. We are reviewing the many elements to this order, around outbreak protocols and prevention. Here are some of the highlights that we are reviewing:
- Dining room capacity – the order allows for 4 residents per table, with the goal that they are consistent, or a cohort. This is a change, as we had reduced the dining room table seating to 2 per table since late March. We are working on potential seating plans and believe this is a positive move, both for our residents and the facility as it returns the lounge area for recreation programming or other uses.
- Volunteer support – the order allows for volunteers to enter the facility to provide support in a variety of ways. Each facility is given the flexibility on this item, based on their risk assessment. We are evaluating this portion and will be reaching out to our volunteers with some questionnaires and communication to evaluate how we move forward
- Programming – the order removes the restrictions around the # of residents that can attend programs, depending on the status of symptoms in the facility and type of program. We are reviewing what is possible in this area that will meet the guidelines and support the social and leisure needs of your loved ones.
- 189 days COVID free!!!
- Currently we have 2 residents on isolation, 1 awaiting swab results and one new admission (isolation period of 14 days)
- Currently, 1 staff member is off with symptoms, awaiting swab results
- Today the staff and family (from the courtyard) celebrated a milestone birthday for one of our residents, who turned 100!! The birthday boy even gave a speech with elegance and class, as everyone cheered him on
- We continue to hire additional staff to ensure we have a deep pool of available individuals as we move into the winter months. Orientation has occurred for 10 additional staff over the past several weeks
- We are currently recruiting for a temporary full time position for either an Occupational Therapist or Physical Therapist, due to vacancies from the impact of the single site worker requirements and honouring a leave of absence. If you know of any candidates that would be a great addition to our team, please have them contact Harley Hempel, our Director of Resident Therapies
Grand Parade Updates:
We are only 9 days away from The Grand Parade!!!!
We are getting very excited as the campaign progresses and Event Day gets closer. Over the last month, Sherwood Care’s fantastic Team Captains have been avidly fundraising towards The Grand Parade. And I’m happy to say that so far we have raised a total of $16,609, bringing us to 41% of our $40,000 goal!! We still have a ways to go and plenty of time to reach our goal and we would love for you to all get involved in this worthy cause!
As you know, typically we have a number of fundraising events throughout the year, such as our highly anticipated Walk-a-thon. But unfortunately the COVID-19 pandemic has prevented us from being able to host these fantastic events that go to support and fund all the “extras” provided to the resident at Sherwood Care. That is why we are SO EXCITED about The Grand Parade and why we are asking for your help as we aim to reach our $40,000 goal!
On September 20th the Team Captains of Sherwood Care will be assembling their teams all over Sherwood Park and Edmonton to walk for the residents of Sherwood Care in COVID-friendly sized teams, and we’re looking forward to everyone’s celebrations of this virtual fundraising event.
How can you get involved?
- Donate to a fundraising team or participant by clicking this link https://thegrandparade.org/location/sherwoodpark and selecting the team or participant you’d like to support
- Register yourself as a Team Captain! What does a Team Captain do? Team Captains register a team online, invite others (friends, family, co-workers, etc.) to join their team, raise money and encourage their team to do the same.
- Join Sherwood Care’s team as a participant and raise money on your own!
- Spread the word! Tell your family, friends, and co-workers about this awesome event!
To register for the event, click on this link: https://thegrandparade.org/register
If you’d like to find out more information about The Grand Parade, click here: https://thegrandparade.org/home
We look forward to your support of this event and are very excited for the rest of the campaign!
Thank you for your support in so many ways, as we all continue to navigate this unusual period of time. The one thing that is certain is that change will continue to occur as we move through this pandemic. Our one hope is that as we work together collaboratively to support your loved ones health and quality of life, we will be successful in mitigating the ongoing risk of COVID at Sherwood Care, while supporting meaningful engagement and connections for each of you and your loved ones.
Make the most of this beautiful evening!
“We all have an unsuspected reserve of strength inside that emerges when life puts us to the test” Isabel Allende