Dear Friends & Family of Sherwood Care,
We have some very positive updates for you as we cap off this difficult month. Our Christmas celebrations put smiles on our residents’ faces, and that positivity, simple as it is, is more than enough to keep us going, no matter how difficult times get.
- All residents’ asymptomatic swabs have come back negative!
- All staff have been swabbed and results are coming in, and so far they’re all negative!
- We will repeat the asymptomatic swabbing of all residents and staff next week, beginning on Monday with your loved ones.
- Continuous shielding will remain in place until we have completed next week’s swabbing.
- Currently, there are 2 residents in isolation, awaiting swab results.
- There are 4 staff members away with symptoms awaiting swab results.
- Based on the province’s latest announcements, there are currently no additional restrictions for continuing care facilities.
- That being said, today there are 56 continuing care facilities with outbreaks in the Edmonton Zone, in addition to four acute care facilities.
- Our ongoing diligence is extremely important as we move through this challenging period.
- Thank you for everything you are doing to support your loved one during this period!
What you can do:
It is not required, but please consider reducing or suspending visits with your loved ones for this short period. We appreciate your consideration of the risk of asymptomatic spread, and are grateful to those families who have already reduced or suspended their visits. We are fully committed to maintaining your presence. It is critical to your loved one’s well-being and quality of life. We are monitoring the situation and will keep you informed regarding any additional changes or restrictions.
The Lights of Joy event was a great success! FortisAlberta spent yesterday stringing over 1500 metres of lights in our courtyard, including a large Christmas star. The dining room was at our current allowable capacity as the lights came on. The lighting was followed by a Christmas Carol sing-along. It was wonderful to see the responses of the residents! Many sang along or clapped and smiled during the music. They loved the hot chocolate and marshmallows, and there were even requests for songs that we didn’t have on the list.
We are committed to doing everything we can to ensure that your loved ones celebrate and feel the spirit of this incredible holiday season, despite the restrictions.
Thank you for your incredible generosity—both in words of appreciation and financial gifts—to support our staff and the work we are doing. We do not take your support for granted; it is central to ensuring Sherwood Care remains the “Best Place to Be” and the “Best Place to Work.”
We may have lost our very long COVID-free streak, but we have received nothing but good news since then. No residents have contracted the virus. The planning we did and the actions we took have been a big success. That success is reward enough in itself, but with the words of thanks from you and the joy in our residents, it feels like the blessings are being heaped on! God truly does provide for us when we need Him to.
“He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouting.”