Dear Friends and Family of Sherwood Care,
246 days COVID-19 free!
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! This last week has turned our beautiful little town into a winter wonderland. Even through the winter cold, we can always find things to be grateful for: all we’ve accomplished together, the feeling of Christmas cheer, and our celebrations just around the corner.
Currently we have no residents on isolation!
There are 6 staff members off with symptoms, awaiting swab results.
As we continue our work on Pandemic planning, please note the following:
- Asymptomatic swabbing: Thank you to those who have signed and returned the consent for asymptomatic swabbing for your loved one in the event of an outbreak. If you have not yet completed the document or have questions, please contact Danielle Buchanan at 780-467-2281 or email@example.com.
- Essential Service Model: Some of you may have read in the paper about local outbreaks and family concerns regarding care and changes in “normal processes” that have occurred. We are working on an Essential Service Model that reflects the changes in care delivery and normal processes that may have to be adjusted in light of the seriousness of an outbreak, the number of ill residents, and our ability to maintain a full team. A model such as this considers the following areas:
- Daily Care routines and hygiene practices
- Normal meal service
- Non-essential activities, i.e. recreation and hairdressing
- Current processes for documentation and care planning
- Staffing needs
- Adequate physician coverage
- Communication between families, residents, and staff
- Family/DSP visitation schedules
- In conversation with our colleagues in other facilities who have experienced outbreaks, and based on data from AHS, there are three key areas in which you can support our work and ensure our building and our residents remain COVID-19 free. They are:
- Frequent and effective hand hygiene
- Consistent and appropriate use of PPE, especially continuous masking when you are inside Sherwood Care
- Frequent and thorough cleaning. Your support in cleaning the designated visiting space after your visit is another important factor in this battle
Fortis Energy has contacted us, and they want to spread some Christmas Cheer! They will be providing support to light up the trees in our courtyard as part of our Kick-off to Christmas. Also, London Drugs is still supporting the “Stocking Stuffers for Seniors” campaign this year. Things will look different with COVID-19 protocols, but we are still excited to partner with them to ensure that every resident receives a gift from “Santa.”
We are looking at creative ways to keep you involved in these signature events, and we will keep you posted.
If we are diligent about stopping the spread, keep working together, and stay strong, then there’s no doubt that we can do this. Life may look different now, but so do we: we’re all so much stronger, and that’s a value that will last a lifetime. Thank you for working with us to keep your loved ones safe!
“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.”
-1 Corinthians 16:13